Amazon is the No. 1* market in France in terms of online purchases. Culture, music, fashion, video games, high-tech equipment… Millions of products are sold online in this public market. Many French companies VSE and SMEs use the platform on a daily basis to sell their products.
Do you want to get started on Amazon? Find out below the basic information to know as well as best practices to adopt to sell your products on Amazon in France and Europe.
What you need to know before registering with Amazon
Before you sign up, it is important to be aware of the different plans that Amazon offers:
- If you sell more than 40 items per month: 39 € exclusive of VAT per month
- If you sell less than 40 items per month: €0.99 excluding VAT per item sold
In addition to these prices, you will also have:
- Selling Fee per Item Sold: The amount of the fee depends on the category of the product. Selling fees range from 8 to 15%.
- Shipping costs: These fees vary depending on the shipping method (either via Amazon or the seller). A management fee is also expected (0.30 EUR per item sold).
How to register on Amazon as a seller
To sell your products on Amazon, you must first create an Amazon seller account for professionals.
Here are the items you’ll need:
- A professional email address or Amazon customer account,
- A valid credit card (international cards are accepted),
- A valid identity document (identity card or passport),
- Business registration information (including VAT number).
How to distribute your products effectively
Does your e-commerce site offer a large amount of products? It may then be interesting to turn to e-commerce flow managers. These tools help you distribute your products to your different sales channels: marketplaces, social networks, price comparisons, affiliate sites, etc.
Advantages of Ecommerce Flow Management Tools:
- Automatic update of your product data in the markets,
- centralize all your requests,
- Inventory synchronization to update in real time across all your sales channels, after placing an order.
What you need to know about product sheets
Here are the characteristics of the product sheet on Amazon:
- Title : 200 characters max. A peculiarity to know: The first letter of each word must be capitalized.
- Pictures: 500 x 500 or 1000 x 1000 pixels.
- Differences: In different sizes or colors eg.
- the main points : Short descriptive sentences about your product.
- special offer: Customers can order through this website: “Buy Now” or “Add to Cart”.
- Other offers: Similar products sold by other sellers.
- a description : Add keywords to increase the likelihood that customers will find your product.
Delivery methods available to you
Two possible ways to ship on Amazon:
- Shipped by seller: You keep your inventory and you are responsible for shipping products to customers. Note: Amazon charges shipping costs by product category.
- Sold by Amazon: The market takes care of the packaging, labeling and shipping of products. This means that your products end up in Amazon’s storage spaces. Good to know: Shipping costs are applied by Amazon based on product type, dimensions, and weight as well as storage costs (billed per cubic meter per month).
See Amazon shipping rates
3 Tips to Increase Your Sales on Amazon
1. Gain insight with keywords
To increase your sales on Amazon, the key is to improve the visibility of your products in the first place. It is important to know that Amazon visitors enter keywords in the search bar. So it is essential to optimize your product sheets as much as possible by choosing the right keywords.
Amazon recommends titles of about 60 characters, giving as many product details as possible: product type, brand, main material or feature, color, size, and quantity. In fact, every word in the title can be the subject of research by a visitor. By optimizing your keywords, you are promoting your products to display in results.
2. Enrich your product pages with essential elements
Here are the essential elements of an effective product page on Amazon:
- Attractive product titles,
- Excellent quality product photos,
- Competitive price compared to your competitors,
- A clear descriptive listing of the product,
- Complete and original product description,
- Free or affordable delivery costs,
- Clear communication regarding delivery terms: costs and deadlines,
- Real customer reviews to reassure your potential customers.
3. Use Amazon ads
To get a faster positive impact on your sales, you can also opt for paid ads offered by Amazon.
The market offers 4 types of advertising solutions:
- Promotional Products: You can create an ad for an individual product, which will be displayed on search results pages and product detail pages.
- Sponsored Brands: These are ads found in search results that display your company logo, a custom title, and display up to 3 of your products.
- Amazon Stores: An Amazon store dedicated to your brand where you can highlight your main products.
- Promotional offer: It displays ads on the Amazon homepage but also abroad: on Twitch and on third-party apps and sites.
* Source: Fevad 2022