First published in April 2021, the Product Reviews type update targets low-quality content in “Test + Product”, “Reviews + Products”, and “Best + Product” type queries whose sole purpose is not to make money through Affiliate links, without testing the offered products.
With this update, Google wants to focus more on sites that have done more comprehensive product testing and not content to aggregate and synthesize content drawn from right and left.
What are Google’s recommendations for not being affected by product review updates?
Among the main recommendations of Google not to be affected by one of the algorithm updates, we find the following:
- Provide your expertise (understand: use technical or rare terms that prove you have mastered the subject).
- Explain how the featured product is used and presented perfectly with your own photos.
- Provide quantitative metrics to evaluate product performance (eg: battery life test for a high-tech body, …).
- Explain how this product differs from its competitors.
- Offer products that are similar to competitors and suitable for other uses.
- Show the strengths and weaknesses of the product.
- Determine the performance of the tested product in all decision factors associated with rating that product.
- Describe details about the tested product and its impact on user experience.
July Product Review Update: How long will this update take to be fully rolled out?
Algorithm updates take an average of two weeks to roll out completely, across all search results.
After this update was announced on July 27, 2022, its deployment should be completed in mid-August 2022.
What are the markets involved?
At the moment, this update only affects the US market and English results, but French results may also be affected.