Can you imagine entering a 3D online store in the form of an avatar, where you can shop and experience as you would in real life?
Technological developments are increasingly present in all areas of daily life and are on the way to conquer all digital channels.
Metaverse is one of them and gives users the ability to interact with different spaces through the fusion of so-called virtual and augmented reality.
Ways to shop are changing and today customers are looking for something different, virtual, but customized, something that makes a difference.
The metaverse brings us a new way of shopping, very close to real life, but completely virtual, where customers can interact in an immersive way with the environment.
It is an exceptional tool to generate a good customer experience and to stand out from the competition. In this article we will tell you a little about it, its advantages, disadvantages and possibilities in digital marketing.
The metaverse, as we have already predicted, is a space where the real world and the virtual world meet, thanks to the use of virtual and augmented reality tools. In this space, which is digital in nature, people can interact with other people from the same metaverse or with 3D objects.
In short, it is an extension of the real space, but in the virtual one.
To be more precise, through items such as virtual or augmented reality glasses and device applications such as computers or smartphones, users can enter a virtual world and participate in different experiences.
These types of activities, such as playing, shopping, trying on clothes, working or interacting with other users in the virtual environment, can be performed using an avatar, which is a virtual representation of the user.
A well-known example of the metaverse was recently demonstrated by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who demonstrated a prototype of a mixed reality headset, as part of his Cambria project. This headset provides an enhanced mixed reality experience by interacting with virtual elements in the real world, such as taking notes, playing with a pet, or attending a class in the gym.
In addition, there are many video game platforms that started with the concept of mixed reality and are in the process of developing their own metaverses, such as Second Life, Fornite, Minecraft, and Roblox.
It is important to consider some of the basic characteristics that metaverses possess or will possess.
- subordinate digital avatars Used to enter each metaverse. These avatars represent the user and will explain what the user wants to show or do in that metaverse.
- About immersive experienceblurring the boundaries between the physical and digital worlds.
- he is Collective and collaborativebecause it is shared with other users who are logged in and active in the same metaverse and can perform actions there at the same time.
- It has no boundaries or spaces, where you can connect without limits to places all over the world. In addition, you can connect to other metaverses while keeping the same avatar.
- he is Fixed It does not disappear if you log out. You can come back to see how things are in this metaverse, what’s new, what has changed, etc.
- he have private economy, Based on NFTs and cryptocurrencies. NFTs are unique digital assets that cannot be exchanged. That is, anyone could convert a digital file to an NFT, which would form a digital certificate of authentication. This will allow them to be exchanged over the Internet, for example through cryptocurrencies. This asset is widely used to exchange artworks or other works that require authenticity, and in addition to cryptocurrencies, it is very useful in the metaverse.
Now that we know the basics of the metaverse, let’s move on to what really matters to us, which is how the metaverse impacts and will affect digital marketing.
The metaverse will radically change the buying and selling of products and services in cyberspace, providing users with completely different and personalized digital experiences much like those in the real world, and giving businesses greater brand recognition.
While some metaverse-like concepts exist today, based on virtual and augmented reality, merging the two to provide a platform as close to the real world as achievable in the metaverse has yet to be developed.
So what are the different possibilities that the metaverse brings to digital marketing?
- It will be possible to buy digital versions Products or services, such as demos or gymnastics exercises performed by an avatar.
- It will be possible to buy in 3D virtual storeswhich you can enter by entering the metaverse with your avatar.
- It will be possible to submit a file expertise Completely different from the customer immersiveWhere he can get the information he wants about the product or service that interests him. In addition, they will also be able to perform actions that are not possible today in a classic virtual shopping experience, such as trying on clothes, trying out the look of furniture in their home, or viewing a restaurant menu live with the information they think they need.
- unique products can be marketed In the form of NFTsgiving customers a sense of place and exclusivity.
- Could be a potential customer guest on metaverse For a remote meeting, but more personalized and realistic.
- subordinate Product Demonstrations Can be organized into the metaverse and Webinars or courses They can be delivered in real time, creating an immersive experience for the customer.
- Many other forms of digital advertising It can be exploited in the metaverse, providing many possibilities and ways to sell a product or service. It will also change the way a product is advertised. Today, the goal is to reach as many people as possible, by sending many emails, by inserting advertisements in different places. In the metaverse, ads will be available to all logged in users.
- Strategies Content Marketing It can be improved by creating new virtual content available in the metaverse for everyone who passes through it, as well as positioning with good strategy Influencer Marketingwhich will compose their campaigns in the form of avatars.
Any technological progress of course has many advantages, as it relates to the future and what is to come, but it also has disadvantages, because it is something new, with little experience and testing.
That’s why we present below some of the advantages and disadvantages that we believe this new technology can have, not only in digital marketing, but in all the areas it can reach.
Classes will be more dynamic and educational, students will be able to transport themselves to other places and learn about them on their own, as well as learning concepts that are more suitable for 3D visualization than on paper. computer.
The concept of the home office will change radically, since it will be possible to access offices and hold meetings in virtual places, where you can meet other people and interact in a virtual environment very similar to the real one.
Virtual medical appointments will be much more effective than current appointments, as patients and their symptoms can be better evaluated.
This is the most famous feature, because they are the pioneers of the metaverse. But being able to play with people from all over the world in a virtual reality environment is great.
marketing throughout the Internet
Buying and selling products and services in the metaverse can be completely personal and realistic, and the customer experience can be even better than in the case of traditional online shopping. This will improve your brand’s reach.
Diverse technology and compatible with different digital formats.
community and cooperation
The ability to easily create connected communities from any distance.
In some ways, it can reduce pollution because more activities can be carried out remotely, reducing the consumption of unsustainable resources such as transportation.
The possibility of communication between different generations.
The high cost of technology will inevitably increase social and economic inequalities, not only for companies that have fewer resources to invest in digital marketing, but also for consumers who do not have easy access to these technologies.
Transfer of Ownership
Lack of physical relationships between people. Possibility to spend a lot of time in the virtual world, due to its similarity to the real world
Lack of knowledge or lack of legislation, which can make spaces unsafe for users.
The fragility of protecting personal data and privacy.
Transactions at risk
The insecurity of economic transactions through virtual payment methods such as cryptocurrencies, which makes them a good target for scams.
If the metaverse currently appears to be more video game oriented and evolving, it is clear that the continued growth in the use of augmented and virtual reality tools will open up more and more possibilities in the virtual world. This is why many companies are going down this path, to take the next step towards incorporating facts, which is the metaverse.
This will have a direct impact on the brands that market their products digitally, as they will need to upgrade if they want to stand out and provide the customer with a fully personalized and realistic experience, where they can get all the product information they need. He wants, when he wants, without having to go to a physical store.
Creating a good customer experience is a necessary differentiation strategy for any business and the use of new technologies in digital marketing will be essential.
About the author
Luciana Sanchez Team member of Habitium.fr and Materialesdefabrica.com