Using direct marketing means reaching a specific goal without having to go through an intermediary. The success of this strategy depends on sending a personalized message that encourages the interviewer to purchase the offered product or service. What is the principle of this approach? What are the goals? How do you correctly define your goal? How do you create an influential message? What types of channels can be used to achieve this strategy? The focus of this article is…
Direct Marketing: Definition and Objectives
Direct marketing includes all sales and communication actions that are done without an intermediary to reach your goal. These actions are carried out interactively from person to person, hence its other name: one-to-one marketing. Such a strategy makes it possible to get a positive and quick reaction.
For this, you should have a database with various detailed data about the target contacts, which can be organizations or potential customers. From this list of contacts, you can create segments of consumers that you will offer them promotions that meet their needs. The target profile is taken into account to customize the interaction. In some cases, it can be created individually to make the marketing campaign a success.
Through careful targeting, you increase your chances of reaching your goal, and you build relationships with potential clients who can become your clients. As for your contacts, they benefit from relevant content that caters to their needs.
The principle of this strategy
In 1961, publicist Lester Wonderman The term “direct marketing” was first coined. This strategy, which aims to improve the customer relationship with your target contacts and ultimately develop your business, has become more democratic over the years.
Thus, the principle of this approach is to create a direct relationship between potential customers or clients and the company. In order to lay the foundations of relational marketing and implement their operational marketing strategies, more and more companies are resorting to direct marketing actions. In some cases, it is combined with the marketing mix to increase the chances of successful campaigns.
The implementation of such a campaign depends on a combination of different elements:
- Mean of communication : The choice of this item depends on the target audience and the type of content to be broadcast. constitutes the solution by which the company communicates with the consumer;
- the offer : It can be a service, a product or an expression of interest in connection with an event, which is offered to the potential customer as well as to the customer;
- Direct reply capability : From the proposed channel, the potential customer or client should be able to reply to you directly without having to go through another channel;
- Database : Contains all the information collected about potential customers and customers, necessary to adapt the offer to each objective.
Various direct marketing channels
The tools used for this strategy can be new or old. With the advent of ICT since the 20th century, companies can now choose from many available channels.
New digital channels have been developing and achieving great success since the beginning of the 2000s:
- The Mobile Marketing : With about 30% of email addresses changing every year, the coupon solution proves to be workable. It consists of using mobile phone numbers to send it. These vouchers generally offer a discount voucher at the point of sale, a call number, a link to an order form, a contact form, etc., and can be sent in the form of text messages. Other coupons also come in the form of QR codes, flash codes, and are included in the store card, for example;
- The Social and digital marketing : Various digital tools used to disseminate messages. Here it is about using social networks, websites, mobile apps, blogs, emails and online videos.
- The Internet ads : It is used to push the potential customer or customer to take action;
- Email Marketing Or email is the simplest and cheapest tool among the many channels used to communicate with your target directly.
Old tools or traditional channels have proven themselves over several years and are still used in direct marketing strategy.
- The Interactive Kiosks They form stations where a customer or potential customer can purchase products or services. He also has access to information there;
- The Telephone conversation Telephone calls or telemarketing, consisting of telemarketing services or products;
- The boxing Includes various advertisements and customized offers sent to targeted contact mailboxes.
Direct Marketing Objectives
To develop a successful campaign, it must go through five stages of direct marketing:
- determining the goal
- message development;
- selection of communication channels;
- marketing campaign automation;
- Monitor and analyze results.
Like all other marketing strategies, its goal is to increase sales, retain customers, and gain new customers. Since it is about providing a response to a strategic need and getting a quick and well-defined reaction from the target, marketing actions are carried out in the medium or short term.
Depending on the company’s expectations and level of interaction, this strategy also aims to:
- collecting various information in order to develop a database;
- Increase the company’s market share.
- get an appointment or opinion or visit a store or website;
- Take care of better management of unsatisfied customers.
In general, the main goals of companies remain to acquire new customers and retain those who are already part of their customers.
Get new clients
To convert your prospects into customers, you can offer them to test out a new product. With a temporary promotion or early access for a product, you also have a chance to get their attention. Thus, in addition to informing your prospects about future and current promotions, company news and new products, you have the potential to convert them into customers.
Building customer loyalty
To encourage your existing customers to keep buying your services or products, build loyalty by offering them gifts or discounts. Thanks to this approach, they feel privileged, because they are appreciated.
Create a touching message
Your letter should encourage him to take the required action. At the same time, it is original, relevant and impactful, highlighting the brand’s values, assets, services and products. In your message, you can offer a reward to receive after an action, a discount, an invitation to an event, a service, or even a product through a detailed presentation, for example.
To satisfy the customer, be sure to fulfill the opportunity offered or the promise conveyed through the letter. Because of this, the interviewer will take action immediately.
Use marketing automation
In order to be well organized and react in a timely manner to the response of interlocutors, many companies use marketing automation. Which consists of automating various tasks using suitable software. Thus, the prospect or client receives personal messages every time he takes the required action. Emails or SMS messages are then sent automatically thanks to pre-programming of tasks according to the interaction time, target profile and behavior of the prospect or client.
Follow up and analyze the results
This step is necessary to assess the campaign’s ROI, estimate the budget needed to acquire a new customer and retain your customers. This process can be implemented using KPIs or performance indicators in order to identify weaknesses in your strategy with a view to improving them.
To determine the goals achieved, you should compare the expected results with the results obtained, in particular the number of responses obtained, sales made or appointments signed.
Direct marketing makes it possible to connect with a potential customer or client without having to go through an intermediary, to build customer loyalty and turn your prospects into customers. Both are used in BtoC marketing and in B2B marketing, this approach requires the combination of many elements for the success of the campaigns. After you have clearly defined your goal, be sure to get their contact details, and create a personalized and relevant message that you will send using an appropriate digital or traditional tool. Automation as well as process monitoring will be beneficial for you to retain the customer and get a return on investment.