Web 1.0, Web 2.0then recently Web 3.0… Are you having a hard time keeping up? The next generation of the Internet and the web protocol will be the next stage of growth for web companies. Web 3.0, this enhanced version of Web 2.0, features the creation of a virtual world on the Internet with the metaverse in particular. With the metaverse, it is complete revolution Our way of thinking, of informing ourselves, of consuming. But what do the French really believe?
Web 3.0, the next stage in the evolution of the web
If Web 2.0 marks a paradigm shift in the way the Internet is used, Web 3.0 represents the next stage in the evolution of the Web. Concretely, Web 2.0 refers to websites and applications that use user-generated content for end users. In contrast, Web 3.0 focuses more on using technologies (machine learning, artificial intelligence) to deliver relevant content to each user rather than content provided by other end users.
At the moment, there is no standard definition for Web 3.0, but it does offer key features:
- decentralization : Information can be stored in several places simultaneously and thus is decentralized;
- Without trust and without permission : The network will allow participants to interact directly without going through a trusted medium. In addition, anyone can participate without permission from a governing body;
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Thanks to technologies based on the concepts of the Semantic Web and Natural Language Processing, computers will be able to understand information in the same way as humans,
- machine learning : It uses data and algorithms to mimic the way humans learn, gradually improving its accuracy.
- Connecting and being everywhere : Information and content can be accessed through an increasing number of everyday devices connected to the Internet.
Thus, the goal of Web 3.0 is to create websites that are smarter, more connected and open.
The metaverse is how the Internet or virtual worlds are integrated and integrated into our lives. It is a combination of:
- Virtual Reality;
- augmented reality
- Mixed reality
- the games ;
- Social networks and much more.
This is a new way to use the Internet by converting it from 2D to 3D. Existing web content will not be navigated on 2D screens of computers or mobile phones by clicking and navigating through different pages and tabs. It will turn into 3D objects.
Sortlist did a study on the metaverse, and the results among the French are somewhat lagging.
Of the 1,000 people surveyed:
- 19% of respondents see the virtual world as a way to escape from the real world;
- 34% of respondents think the metaverse is the new name for Facebook;
- More than 50% say they don’t trust the world
- 67% of Europeans understand the meaning of the metaverse versus only 55% in France.
- 50% of the French are afraid to invest in NFTs.
This study also made it possible to understand that some companies have confidence in the future of the virtual world.
They will invest 10-20% of their marketing or innovation budget in the metaverse, which will expire in 5 years.
However, one in two people still doubt the existence of the metaverse: more than half of users say they don’t trust the concept of virtual worlds, especially because of cybersecurity according to this study.
So is metaverse doomed to failure? To succeed, this concept still needs to address issues of trust and cybersecurity. For now, users are still struggling to see it as anything other than an entertainment tool. But soon it could become an everyday reality with the support of Meta Beyond Virtual Realms.